It’s an interconnected world, with all us liked to mighty World Wide Web. Today, sending an image or connecting to long-lost friends isn’t a task anymore. Just few clicks on any search engine and we can find solutions to toughest of the questions. Internet has become a necessity, paying utility bills were never so easy before. Ordering food, booking travel tickets, shopping, finding real-estate solutions, everything is just a click away.
Technology Companies & Brands like Google, YouTube, Instagram, Whats App has just made life easy and lot more entertained. Distance in terms of area, has nothing to do with Internet, all we need is Net connection on Phone Handset or WiFi connectivity. But, as every coin has two sides so is our dear Technology. If you are a news buff like me – Cyber Security is something which would be doing rounds in your head. Two superpower countries are in mid of tussle on alleged Cyber Attack on one another. This also, raise an alarm in my cautions – “How Safe Are We – ONLINE?”
A Boon or Bane – Internet Technology
Well, there is no direct justification to this statement – It’s a positive move to connect the world, globalized trade, financial deals and many more. However, at the same time everyone connected to it becomes vulnerable for malware virus programs or in layman terms Hacked. If shoplifting is a crime, so is the plagiarism – which means stealing someone else’s creative work or property, without their permissions.
There are many instances of innocent people falling prey to hacking by fraudsters; who catch them unawares or gauge loopholes in technology. Take example of – banking details; a small mistake of sharing Banking Details could result in loosing all of our hard-earned money. However, at the same time – Online banking have made life easier and hassle free.
Social Networking –
One of the biggest achievements of Technology; social media networking. It is so easy to connect with like-minded people or connect to wide world of Internet. However, the flaws of social networking is never hidden from anyone. Everyone who is connected to social networking sites, are vulnerable to cyber attacks on their identity. Cyber Bullying, Identity theft or Impersonation, are some of the most common flaws of Online Crimes. Also read – https://www.gleefulblogger.com/2017/08/16/freedom-judged-personal-choices/
P.S., I am not even counting easy access to pornographic or abusive material available for free over internet.
How to be Safe – Online
Listing some of the measures to Keep Us Safe Online –
- Anti Virus Protection – Install a good Anti-Virus original programme to keep you safe from unknown cyber attacks.
- Keep STRONG Passwords & change them often. Never keep password which would be too easy to guess – like birth dates, family names, etc.
- Two Factor Authentication – Have you heard of these; Yes, they are very useful when you have multiple devices to connect with WWW. Set up Two Factor Authentication – it keeps you safe and alert of any unknown login to your profile.
- Don’t click on an all links – Be selective in clicking, many virus attacks shared using social networking as platform to spread.
- Secure your Profile – Make sure you have all back-up details saved to regain access to your account at the time of hacker’s attack.
- Think before you Share – Do you share all your day’s routine on social media? If the answer is YES; think before you do that. Social Networking sites work on open platforms, and your details are vulnerable.
- Picture of YOU – Sharing your images with world, make sure you use ‘watermark’ or copyright the images/creatives. Any use without your knowledge & permission is liable and termed as offence. Take help of Law if you feel threatened.
- Spend some time on reading Legal Terms & Policies available online, I know this is quite irritating to read such long documents. Advisable to read and understand those policies well.
- Report – feel free to report a theft to social networking help center or legal department, with correct details and links.
Be Safe –
BE SAFE – our safety is in our own HANDS, hence be selective, cautions and responsible. Lets make Internet Community a safer and clean place for all. Do you have any more ideas on Online Security, please share with us in the comments below.
“This post is written as a part of the #AlexaTheIncredible campaign hosted by #womenbloggerwb”
© Dipika Singh.
Unauthorized use and/or duplication of this material without express and written permission from this site’s author and/or owner is strictly prohibited. Excerpts and links may be used, provided that full and clear credit is given to Dipika Singh (Gleefulblogger) with appropriate and specific direction to the original content.
2,876 total views, 6 views today