ICICI Academy for Skills (ICICI Academy), an arm of ICICI Foundation for Inclusive Growth!
What do you call an initiative which aims at Enabling Livelihood, Enriching Lives? There could be multiple replies to this question – but the ONE I am stuck with as an observer is – Applaudable. We have heard or are linked with CSR activities (Corporate Social Responsibility) someway of the other. CSR is a management concept whereby companies integrate social & environmental concerns in their business operations. It is generally understood as being the way through which a company achieves a balance of economic, environmental and social imperatives.
Academy for Skill Training – Enriching Lives
ICICI Academy for Skills, an arm of ICICI Foundation, opened its first center in Mumbai, on 6th January 2016. The aim is to provide the skill training to youth from economically weaker sections of society. To help them enable the sustainable livelihood, a better and self-dependent living.
Last week, I got an opportunity to get a glimpse of ‘what happens inside the academy?‘ It was one of the best day’s of my life – witnessing the transformation. From an unfocused, distracted youth to Skilled, Trained & Technical Experts. Spending time with the students, teachers & center head gave me a sense of belonging with the academy. I came out with my head held high and a broad smile, to see the gigantic change these academies are bringing in the life of kids.
The idea behind ICICI Academy for Skills
CSR isn’t just donating or providing the needy. The truest form of Corporate-Social responsibility is providing a sustainable livelihood. Providing skills to the youth of our beloved country, make them employable, give them a direction. Enriching lives of underprivileged youth is as important as any other sector of the country.
As a step in this direction, ICICI Foundation launched a nationwide skill development initiative, ICICI Academy for Skills (ICICI Academy), in October 2013 to impart vocational training to the youth. Today these training academies are spread across length and breadth of India, enabling the youth of today. 24 in numbers – widely spread in urban & rural India and still many more in the pipeline.
In the words of Ms. Chanda Kochhar, MD & CEO, ICICI Bank
“We recognized skill development as an important area of focus as part of our efforts in the nation’s socio-economic development. Bridging the critical gap between manpower availability and employability is important to provide sustainable livelihood opportunities for all to grow and prosper.”
Training Programs & Details
Since October 2013, ICICI Academy has launched 24 centers across India. It has also set up centers under the public-private partnership (PPP) model with some State Governments. The Academy currently offers training under various vocations. Such as –
- Electrical & Home Appliance Repair,
- Refrigeration & AC Repair,
- Pumps & Motor Repair,
- Central Air Conditioning,
- Selling Skills,
- Office Administration,
- Web Designing,
- Retail Café Operations,
- Paint Application Techniques,
- Tractor Mechanic,
- Lab Assistant at Diagnostic Centres,
- Two & Three Wheeler Service Technician and
- Retail Sales.
Insights from the Mumbai Center
- The center offers five courses in-
- electrical & home appliance repair,
- refrigeration & AC repair,
- two & three wheeler service technician,
- selling skills and
- office administration.
- ICICI Academy for Skills has ‘Knowledge Partners’ market leaders from various Industries which helped in setting up practical training laboratories.
- Schneider Electric India Foundation for electrical & home appliance repair,
- Blue Star Ltd. for refrigeration & AC repair,
- TVS Training & Services Ltd. for two & three wheeler service technician,
- Tally Solutions Pvt. Ltd. for office administration.
- The tenure consists of 12 weeks/ 3 months industry relevant vocational training courses.
- Better communication skills, self-discipline, grooming techniques.
- Eligibility criterion – Youth in the age group of 18 – 30 years and have passed standard VIII from the underprivileged background.
- Students are also provided with zero balance bank account to understand & learn the financial independence.
- Free meals – healthy & nutritious food is given at the academy.
An Appeal from Academy for all of you.
Ms. Chanda Kochhar, MD & CEO, ICICI Bank has also launched a referral program called GiftALivelihood. With this referral program, we could help by bringing a change in someone’s life. Refer the deserving candidates from the financially weaker section of society. Share the details of the candidate on www.giftalivelihood.com and help them live a better life. A simple referral and rest everything will be taken care of by the ICICI Academy.
ICICI Academy enrolls the eligible candidates for its technical/ vocational courses, which are provided free of any COST. Students get placement in some of the best companies & gain financial support. I have met and spoken to alumni of the academy, very well placed and happy to share their transformation journey.
Listening to contend voices and experiences of these alumni, my heart swells with gratitude. Gratitude for the ICICI Foundation, and for all those who are behind these happy faces.
Copyrights Dipika Singh
2,319 total views, 9 views today